The basic rules in Mrs Caudill's kindergarten class follow the Whole Brain Teaching ideas. Almost all classroom situations will fall under one of these rule categories, so children always know how to respond and what to do for help. The children recite the rules daily, using hand motions which are described in the parenthesis. There is also 2 videos in the files below, which show other kindergarten classes reciting similar rules. These rules include:
Rule #1: Listen (point to your ears) when your teacher (kids point to me) is talking (move hands together and apart like a mouth).
Rule #2: Follow directions quickly. (As we say this, we snap out fingers along with each word and say the rule quickly.)
Rule #3: Respect others (point out), respect yourself (point to yourself), and respect your school (point to the ground).
Rule #4: Raise your hand (raise your right hand) to speak (make moving mouth motion) or stand (use index and middle finger to 'walk').
Rule #5: Be safe (hug yourself), be kind (cover your heart with both hands), be honest (place right hand up, like you were about to testify).
The school as a whole has adopted a new behavior and reward system, which is described in detail in the file below. Older NES students will follow rules which are spelled out using the acronym BOBCATS. Since kindergarteners have difficulty with numerous expectations, we will follow the rules above, which are similar to the BOBCAT expectations, but with less wording. The consequences, however, will be consistent with the rest of the school. Students who have difficulty with the rules, will be given a "mark."
Consequences for the number of marks given per week will be as follows:
2. 5 Minutes of Recess
3. 10 Minutes of Recess
4. Parent Note Home
5. Loss of Entire Recess
6. Parent Phone Call by Teacher
7. Principal conference and parent phone call by the student
8. Referral and In-School Suspension
9. After School Detention
10. Principal’s Choice
Rewards for excellent BOBCAT behavior will be given as follows:
1. Each Friday that a student has no more than one warning mark, they will receive a Bobcat Buck and a homework pass from their homeroom teacher.
2. Once a month a Bobcat Party will take place by grade level these will vary monthly. During the Bobcat Party Bobcat Bucks will be drawn for bigger prizes. Each month students who have no more than one warning mark per week (four warnings total) will get to attend.
There will also be an identified field trip at the end of the year for students who never went past the weekly warning.